Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chef Karen reporting from Chef Highway

Let me say first that the exit we get off of on Route 10 to go back to Olive Tree everyday (where we are staying) is called Chef Highway -how appropriate for me since I am the "camp cook" for the days we are staying here. The team I am on is working at 4436 Cartier Street - pronounced like the diamond/jewelry company. I am sure our owner thinks that her house is a jewel and precious and so do we as we have been working hard to put down ceramic tile throughout her small but lovely home. Our home owner has saved her insurance and Road Home money in order to have volunteers work on her house. How did we forget the post-Katrina issue of fraudulant construction companies/workers? Who would you trust to re-build your house? PDA/Project Homecoming and our team are some of the lucky ones that are entrusted to re-build this house. We have not met our homeowner and probably won't, but that's okay. I will never forget the salmon colored house with it's cream trim. And this long-time desk jockey has done some hard work along with my team and all the other volunteers here. I can feel the good feelings but unusual feelings of physical exhaustion.

I am very happy I took the opportunity to participate in this mission trip. I will be returning home with many memories and the wonderful feelings of community and being part of something special with a group of people - some I have never met before. One of my favorite hymns is "The Summons" which contains the words "Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?" and "Let me turn and follow you and never be the same." I like to think that I did that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment